Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

What Happens in Boracay Stays in Boracay

No electricity, no night life, no fancy resort but simply a long stretch of fine white sands and sand bars and clear seawater,  this was Boracay twenty years ago.
I've heard so much how Bora has turned into a commercialized touristy area since, seemingly nice and sad reality.  I arrived in Bora greeted by no less than it's lovely sunset, i could not help but lift my flipflops and stroll on it's fine white sands barefoot.  Yes, 20 years later, I am happy to see the sand remained white and fine, thank God!

(Beachcomber @ Station 1 by night) Chilling-out by the seaside, al fresco dining, drinking and dancing the night away... I think I had the most alcohol intake, my entire life combined in those three nights.  Exag? Maybe not!  I had my first taste of beer  (surprisingly, it doesn't taste as bad as it smelled), managed to stay sober with frequent pee break, I easily finished a bottle... a bottle of water! haha Alcohol and me just isn't the perfect match.

(Beachcomber @ Station 1 by day)  It is amazing to see the tides go low at night, making way for a larger space for the crowd to hang around by the shore. In the morning, the tides are high, perfect for a fun day under the sun.  I wonder if the tides ever go low in the morning and high at night?  In that case, there would be no seaside party!

While we were waiting for our hearty brunch at Lemone Cafe to be served I happened to browse through an article in the Inquirer entitled Bora's best-kept secrets - a write-up timely for six fellows undecided on what to do for the day, so we heed on:

Tip # 2. Rent a cabana at Waling-Waling and take an afternoon nap on one of the hammocks. Wake up to the view of the sunset and wonder where all those hours went.
 (The group needs to consume a thousand for the cabana, but since the manager was away, the waiter was kind enough to accommodate us. :D)

Tip #4.  At Nami, try the massage at their spa. You’ve never known kneading that good. - We tried calling (036)2886753 to 54, the cheapest massage service is @ P900, was it a good thing that no masseurs was available? hehe  So three of them opted for a massage at Waling-waling, I opted not to have one since I felt undeserving after doing nothing! haha Beach bumming it is!  I finally found the right term, that is exactly what we did for 3 days and 3 nights.

Bora is also enjoyed for its great food, so watch your diet, you may arrive with flat abs and leave with bulging belly!  The ribs @ Hawaiian BBQ, the pizza and pasta @ aria (italian for air), egg omelet @ lemone cafe, chicken @ Island chicken Inasal, fruits in ice cream... are superb but pricey!  Now, my mom tells me we should have gone to D Talipapa and buy-your-ingredients-and-we'll-cook-them-for-you system @ Plato D'Boracay.  I do not know anyone who's more frequent in Bora than my parents, they go there once, twice or thrice a year so maybe I should heed her tip next time.

I am so longing for another trip to Boracay and that should include:
  • a stay by a seaside resort  (i've walked passed the other end of Station 2 upto Station 1, and managed to visualize the map I've been looking at on the web, now I know where to check-in next!)
  • a ride on the flying fish (no one wanted to go on this, sniff!) and maybe try out kite boarding then have a well-deserved massage at Nami's Private Villa.
  • a glitter tattoo (i just envy my nieces tan line with those tattoo!)
  • another shot of the sunset
  • beach bumming once again with great company 
After 20 years, I've finally set foot on the fine white sands of Boracay again. 'Twas indeed an exciting vacation greeted by no less than it's lovely sunset, three days later, it never fails to leave a lasting impression...


(raw pix by sony t-100)
guide-to-boracay-how-to-get-there

No comments:

Post a Comment